Dissertation literature review sample
Apr 13, 2018
It was wrong to capture wild animals and confine them in captivity for people to go and gawk at them. And that's basically how zoos got started. But once you do that, and once you have animals that have been bred in captivity, you're really stuck with them in some sense. You can't return them to the wild. Peter Singer
Writing a Literature Review
As an academic writer, you are expected to provide an analytical overview of the significant literature published on your topic. If your audience knows less than you do on the topic, your purpose is instructional. If the audience knows more than you do, your purpose is to demonstrate familiarity, expertise, and intelligence with the topic. In your review of literature you are expected to do the following:
- Place one's original work in the context of existing literature.
- Interpret the major issues surrounding your topic.
- Describe the relationship of each work to the others under consideration.
- Identify new ways to interpret, and shed light on any gaps in previous research.
- Resolve conflicts among seemingly contradictory previous studies.
- Determine which literature makes a significant contribution to the understanding of your topic.
- Point the way to further research on your topic.
Content of the Literature Review
The Literature Review must be well structured, and your ideas must flow logically from one point to the next. Ensure sources and references are current and relevant, cited appropriately according to your discipline. Present terminology and viewpoints on the topic in an unbiased and comprehensive manner.
Include the following content in your Literature Review:
- Provide an overview of the subject, issue, or theory under consideration.
- Divide outside works into categories and concepts (in support or against a particular position).
- Connect the works to what has come before your work and ideas.
- Provide conclusions about those works that make the greatest contribution to the understanding and development of your subject.
Consider the following when assessing whether to include each work in your review of literature:
- Qualifications: What are the author's credentials to make the judgments he or she has made?
- Neutrality: Is the author's perspective even-handed or biased?
- Credibility: Which of the author's theses are convincing and why?
- Worth: Do the author's conclusions add to the value of your own?
Your transitions between ideas analyze, synthesize, and assess these outside perspectives, and do not simply summarize or translate them.
Your attitude towards works that you present, either in support or against your topic, through the use of reporting verbs which allow the writer to convey clearly whether the claims in the outside work are to be taken as accepted or not. Use reporting verbs to indicate
- Positive assessment (advocate, argue, hold, see);
- Neutral assessment (address, cite, comment, look at);
- Tentative assessment (allude to, believe, hypothesize, suggest); or
- Critical assessment (attack, condemn, object, refute).
The way you present the evidence or material in the Literature Review needs to show that you are:
- Selecting and quoting only the most relevant material for your subject and argument.
- Making sense of the quotation within the context of your argument.
- Introducing and integrating only relevant quotations into your literature review.
- Focusing on the language of quotations in the interpretations.
Through citations, situate your research in a larger narrative. The conscientious use of citations reflects your decisions to give greater emphasis to either the reported author or the reported message.
- Integral citations are those where the name of the cited author occurs in the citing sentence.
- Non-integral citations make reference to the author in parenthesis or through end or footnotes.
Your ideas should be at the center of your writing, but your work has to be embedded in what has come before to demonstrate its relevance and importance to the subject. The Literature Review connects your ideas to the ideas in your field.
How to find literature review help for an excellent research?
Many websites offer help for busy students, however, not all of them agree to write literature review. Our company provides a literature review services on the high academic level. We have firm basis of experts, who cooperate with us helping students of different levels and various subjects:
- Our writers are required to have University degree in humanities or sciences. Depending on your level of studies, your paper will be prepared either by Master or PhD degree professional.
- Our company has access to online libraries of various Universities, as well as to paid sources and articles. This permits us to prepare a thorough literature review for your research. If needed, we may also provide you with full-text articles and books in digital format, so that you don;t have to look for them in libraries anymore. You just get them served straight to your device.
- Every literature research we provide is current and up-to-date. We understand that literature review is the foundation for your prospective thesis; therefore we put our best efforts to complete it. Our team consists of dedicated researchers, who are interested not only in providing services and getting paid for it but in keeping the level of science and research on the proper level.
- Every paper we produce, including thesis literature review, is verified by a professional proofreader with linguistic education and proper experience in academic writing.
May literature review help affect my progress with the thesis?
Many people have a bad conscience when they ask for help with their papers. There is this common stereotype that if you pay someone to do some work for you, you lack some experience. This is absolutely not the case if you talk about writing a literary analysis. The work we do is rather completing the tasks of the secretary. We research and analyze the material, which will save your time to write the essence of your thesis. Writing literature reviews is more about spending time with irrelevant books looking for the relevant material, rather than the research itself. Writing about literature has been our task for years; we know where to search to save your time and effort. Besides, all of our cooperation is fully confidential and no product will ever pass to any of our other clients or otherwise be used or reproduced by third persons.
View Literature Review Examples:
- Topic: Review Sample
- Type: Literature Review
- Pages: 13
- Topic: Cyberbullying Review
- Type: Literature Review Sample
- Pages: 14
- Topic: Chronic illnesses
- Type: Literature Review
- Pages: 14
- Topic: Literature Review Outline
- Type: Literature Review Outline
- Pages: 1
How to get thesis literature review?
You can place your order in a couple of clicks filling in the online form on our website. Our literature review writing service also has an online chat where you can talk to our manager any time of the day and any day of the week. To assist you better with writing literature review, you will be asked to specify your research topic and, if possible, provide us some information on how you are going to structure and focus your future thesis. You will work together with our team instructing them on how to write your literature review. You can also call us to the phones on our website or contact us per e-mail. Our managers will respond as quickly as possible and answer all your questions regarding the literature review writing.
The writer did an amazing work with my paper! I first thought they offer dissertations only because of the name, but I actually got a research paper here. Still, they should really reconsider their name. It is a bit misleading.