Summarizing paraphrasing and quoting examples of personification
May 26, 2018
Paraphrase is used to express a statement differently. Paraphrase can serve many different purposes. The paraphrase may be used as a form of polite redesign of a statement, or as satire, re-expressing the original in a different context. Often paraphrase is used to make a statement more efficient, to express it better, differently, or improve its ability to be understood.
Paraphrasing is rewording text so that the original meaning is there but it is in a new form. Rewriting a passage in your own words is paraphrasing.
Examples of Paraphrasing
In the following examples, the original sentence is paraphrased in the second sentence.
- Niagara Falls is viewed by thousands of tourists every year. Each year, thousands of people visit Niagara Falls.
- The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was painted by Michelangelo. Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel’s ceiling.
- It was a spacious room with lit candles all over. Candles flickered from many areas of the large room.
- In ancient times the olive branch was used as a peace symbol, as well as the dove. Many centuries ago, peace was shown with an olive branch and a dove.
- The gray clouds were a warning of an approaching storm. The coming storm was foretold by the dark clouds.
- He was saddened by the news. The news depressed him.
- Pouring hydroxide peroxide on your wooden cutting board will kill salmonella and other bacteria. The bacteria on your wooden cutting board, including salmonella, can be eradicated by pouring hydrogen peroxide on it.
- Ginger shuts down nerve receptors that trigger the vomiting reflex. The nerve receptors that cause the reflex for vomiting are stopped by ginger.
- She was a successful author and speaker. She found success as a speaker and writer.
- The still waters of the Caribbean were teal in color. The turquoise Caribbean waters were calm.
- The majority of consumers prefer imported cars. Foreign cars are preferred by most customers.
- The museum has a huge collection of African art. There is a large exhibit of African art at the museum.
- A scroll compressor looks like a screw and squeezes the refrigerant. The refrigerant is pressed by the spiral-shaped scroll compressor.
- To make jazz hands, simply put your hands out, open your fingers and shake your hands. Jazz hands are easily done by spreading out your fingers, putting your palms forward, and wiggling your hands.
- With electronic cigarettes, there will be no smoky smell on your clothes or skin. Using electronic cigarettes does not make your skin and clothes smell smoky.
- My partners and I are currently in the middle of getting funding for a new business we are launching. At the present time, my partners and I are seeking funds for our new business venture.
- The price of a resort vacation includes meals, tips, and equipment rentals which makes your trip cost-effective. All-inclusive resort vacations make for a very economical trip.
- Uploading a video to YouTube can help exposure for your business. Your business can be seen by many people if you post a video on YouTube.
- The fall of the Berlin Wall happened in his lifetime. During his lifetime, the Berlin Wall was taken down.
- This product causes the break-down of excess body fat and will help people shed pounds. This product helps people lose weight by eliminating extra fat in the body.
- During a cruise, you can check out the natural scenery. You can see natural vistas during a cruise.
- In the first season, Mary’s brother and sister conspired against her. Mary’s brother colluded with her sister early in the season.
- This brand is preferred by most plumbers. Most plumbers prefer this brand.
- He has tons of stuff to throw away. He has to get rid of a lot of junk.
- Symptoms of the flu include fever and nasal congestion. Stuffiness and elevated temperature are signs of the flu.
- The tornado razed the town. The town was obliterated by the cyclone.
The key to successful paraphrasing is to use different words without changing the meaning of the text.
This is another mini anchor chart I could put in the students reading notebooks. This one helps with personification and can help elaborate on students writing.
Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.